Current Status: there are no factors affecting school opening at this time
Page last updated – Tuesday 24th October 2017 at 12.26pm
ADVICE FOR PARENTS
EMERGENCY CLOSURE OF SCHOOL – SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS
Please note that it is essential that we have an up to date contact number (including mobile where possible) for parents at all times.
Severe weather can be snow, stormy weather or flooding. Procedures are reviewed annually to ensure we can respond effectively to severe weather. Our current procedures are as follows:
Decision to close during school hours
If it is necessary to close the school during the school day because of severe weather we will use the contact details you have given us to ensure your child is returned home safely. In the first instance we will send out a text to the child’s main contact mobile phone. Please confirm receipt of this message by replying to the text. This will allow us to direct follow up phone calls to those who have not received the text. Our system only allows us to contact one parent, so please ensure the main contact is the person who is able to reply to texts where possible.
Decision to close made outside of school hours.
You can obtain information about school closure from these sources:
- The school Twitter feed @PortmoakPS will be used for both localised and widespread closure information. This is a great source of information and can be updated throughout the day easily. If you don’t have Twitter you can view the Twitter feed at the very bottom of the school website.
- The school website www.portmoak.com will be used for both localised and widespread closure information. You are recommended to check this and twitter first.
- Radio Tay will always have up-to-date information from 07.00 hours and is updated every 20 mins. ( Frequency AM 1161; FM 102.8 and www.radiotay.co.uk )
- You can also obtain information from Perth & Kinross Council information line on 01738 475000 available from 08.00 hours to 18.00 hours however this line may operate from 07.00 in exceptional circumstances.
- You can also log onto www.pkc.gov.uk which will have information about school closures on the home page or by accessing www.pkc.gov.uk/Schoolclosures
- School staff may contact you by text if we are able to access school premises. There can be delays with this service during busy times.
- PKC social media will also be used for school closure. You can find out more about this on www.pkc.gov.uk/socialmedia
In the event of the school remaining open during severe weather, parents should make the decision of whether or not to send their child to school based on the safety of walking conditions on the roads and pavements; our school playground will be in a similar condition.